Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Virtual Internship - Week Three

The PR Field and virtual internships go hand and hand. With the internship being virtual, the time to place conference calls and Skype meetings are unpredictable. Anything could happen with either party to where the meetings can get behind schedule or can not happen at all, but I believe it's up to the intern to make it work.

The scheduling difficulty makes the intern decide if this is truly what they want to do, not only with working with the company, but with joining the public relation field period. When dealing with clients, they should know you'll be available to them 24/7. Whether it may be the client going through a crisis, or a magazine calling to set up an interview with a client, you must be ready. In the internship case, the intern must be flexible toward working with the company. I am fortunate enough to have a summer job from 8 to 5, making most of my evenings free to do my internship duties. I couldn't image trying to work a retail job not knowing what I was working from week to week and having to deal with scheduling time for the internship, but again that's the same with the PR field as well.

With that being said, I am debating whether or not I'm totally committed to this field. Of course I love it now, especially after going over more crisis scenarios with Cassie of CasMacPR (my internship), but this is speaking in my status right now: I'm a single, senior in college with no children or responsibility other than myself. Ideally, in my opinion, this profession is not "family friendly." I can't picture myself being deep into the PR field and planning a wedding or having a child. This is a ways from now (Lord willing on the baby part), but at the same time this is something to think about.

This week we went over crisis management, and I felt as if I was better prepared for the scenarios this time. The first week learning with crisis management was a bit much, unsure of what to do in certain cases. With the tools Cassie has taught me, I feel that I am better prepared to deal with the situations that may occur.

I also participated in a few Twitter chats as well through my "professional PR Twitter account" @CreativeDream_ . Creatively Dream (Twitter wouldnt let me add the -ly to my user name) is inspired by my best friend in high school. We had dreams of going to New York, her to pursue a career in Broadway, and I to pursue a career as a magazine editor. BIG Dreams! lol We would constantly write out plans of how to get to NY, what we would do when we got there, how we were going to make it, but most importantly we always wrote "Dream Big" at the end of the plans we were making. I am a creative person and love to express myself, and with the PR field I believe thats an important asset to bring to the table. The two together "Creatively Dream." I am currently working on a website which would be geared toward the PR field as well as (my second love) Event Planning.


I would like to make Creatively Dream my own company one day, but for now it's my personal project.




I'm Skyping with one of my clients for the summer, capDIVAting ARTistry, and quite excited to see her expectations of what she would like for me to do with her craft in the make-up artist industry. 


Until next time! 


-CreativelyDream 

No comments:

Post a Comment